A user segment is a group of users who share a common characteristic or behavior (event property, user property, or event completion). They may be static (a one-time group that meets a set of fixed criteria, for example “Users who logged in on Friday May 29th”) or they may be dynamic (an ever-changing group that meets a set of relative criteria, for example “Users who created an account within the last 30 days”). You may create user segments from within any Indicative tool and they may be used within the tools for further analysis, within Users to review the individuals in that segment, or for export via the User Segments Export API. This article describes how to create a user segment, view or manage user segments, and how to use user segments for analysis..
Available in: Segmentation, Funnel, Cohort
Manage User Segments
To manage user segments, click Settings in the navigation bar, then select “User Segments.” Here, you will see all of the user segments created and saved by members of your project.
- Segment Name: Give your segment a name. It is recommended that the name be easily understood by any user within your organization.
- Description: Provide additional context and notes here, for example to describe how this user segment should be used or to provide business-specific context. The description will appear within the data dictionary, available within each tool.
- Category: Define the category that your segment belongs to. For example, if the segment is related to marketing, type "Marketing.”
- Segment ID: Use this with the User Segments Export API.
- Type: Static or Dynamic.
- Creator: This is the user who created the user segment.
- Created (Time Zone): This is the time zone in which the user segment was created.
Hover over a user segment to view two additional options:
- Open Query: Opens the original query that defines the cohort within the relevant Indicative tool.
- View Users: Opens a list of users included in the user segment within the Users tool.