A user segment is a grouping of your users, defined by specific actions and/or properties. You can create user segments for further analysis or for export. This article will show you step-by-step, how to build a user segment, how to view or manage your user segments or how to perform analyses with your user segments.
Available in: Segmentation, Funnel, Cohort
Building a User Segment
- A query must have been run
Click on any point in the query results to open a menu and hover over "Create User Segment".
- A User Segment created from a point will only include users from that specific data point.
- A User Segment created from a series will include users from all data points in the selected analysis results.
To create a user segment in Funnel, simply click on the step you want your segment to be created from, click a path in the context menu and select "Create User Segment".
From Funnel with a Property Breakout
When creating a User Segment in a funnel analysis segmented by a property, you have two options:
- A User Segment create from a breakout selection will contain users in the breakout segment you have selected.
- A User Segment created from the entire step will contain all users in this step, regardless of breakout segment.
The "Create a User Segment" Overlay
Once you select to create a user segment from any of the tools mentioned above, you will see the overlay outlined below.
- This segment will contain users who: ... : This section of the overlay describes the users captured in your segment in plain language.
- Segment Name: Give your segment a name. We recommend choosing a name that is descriptive enough for any user in your organization to understand.
- Description: Provide additional context and notes here. The description will appear as your hover over your segment in the data panel on the right hand side.
- Category: Define the category that your segment belongs to. For example, if the segment is related to marketing, type "Marketing". Your segment will live under the "Marketing" category in the data panel on the right hand side.
- Static vs. Dynamic: If you want to create a segment that will only ever contain users discovered through your query at this very moment in time, select "Static". If you would prefer to create a fluid segment that will update on a daily basis, with users moving in and out of the segment based on their future behavior, select "Dynamic".
Note: A segment will only update dynamically if there are relative date range components in your user segment query.
Analyzing with a User Segment
- Have at least one user segment created
To begin using your created segments within analyses, click on the user segments icon in the data panel on the right side. You may add your segment to any query row as a Where clause or By clause.
Where clauses allow you to filter an analysis by a specific value or values within an event property or user property. In the case of user segments, a where clause can be expressed in one of two ways:
- Where users are in [segment name]: Will filter your query row to only include users who are also in the selected segment.
- Where users are not in [segment name]: Will filter your query row to only include users who are not in the selected segment.
By clauses, also referred to as "breakouts,” allow you to segment data based on event properties, user properties and now user segments to better understand its context. In the case of user segments, only two values will be expressed when a By clause is selected:
- [Query row name]: in [segment name]: Only includes users who are also in the selected segment.
- [Query row name]: not in [segment name]: Only includes users who are not in the selected segment.
Managing User Segments
To manage your user segments, start by clicking the Settings button in the navigation bar. Here, you will see all of the user segments created and saved by members of your project.
Define and Categorize User Segments
- Under the Definition column, you may add a description to a user segment. Definitions are useful for new users, and/or when your project contains similarly named segments.
- Under the Category column, you may create categories and assign user segments to them. Creating categories helps keep your Data Panel organized.
Visit the Original Query
Clicking the icon will take you to the original query from which your user segment was created.
View and Export Users
Clicking the icon will take you directly to Users, where you are able to see the users included in the segment, explore their individual activity, and export the users in the segment.